Storytellers from the community are invited to join in the competition. To compete at the festival, nine community tellers will be chosen during a Pre-Competition Screening on Tuesday, Oct. 10. Tellers will have five minutes to tell a story of their choice. The best nine will be chosen from the screening to perform for the final competition on Saturday, Oct. 14, at 4 p.m. in the Page Theater at Saint Mary’s University.
Registration for the Pre-Competition Screening:
- Interested tellers who wish to compete must register and attend the screening on Tuesday, Oct. 10,, from 6-9 p.m. at the Figliulo Recital Hall in the Performance Center at Saint Mary’s University.
- To register for the Pre-Competition Screening, go to https://bit.ly/CompPrescreen or call 507-703-6001.
- Stories must not be read, but should be prepared as a performance.
- Stories should be family friendly in language and subject matter.
- Stories should be folk tales, legends, myths, scary stories, funny stories, etc. (No jokes or anecdotes)
- Stories must have a beginning, middle, and end.
- Tellers of all ages may participate. However, tellers under the age of 13 who wish to participate, must be supervised by an adult to prepare and present their story appropriately and within the time limit.
- Tellers will be judged on their stage presence, the clarity of their storytelling, adherence to the time limit, and the overall impact of their story.
- The nine finalists will receive complimentary SSF T-shirts and compete at the festival on Saturday at 4 p.m.
Following the final competition on Saturday, three tellers will be chosen for their excellence in storytelling. Cash prizes are $50 for third place, $75 for second place, and $100 for best-in-show. The prize-winning tellers will be announced during the Buffalo Gals performance and the Best-in-Show teller will be invited to tell their story again at 7 p.m.
Final Competition Judges:
- Bil Lepp, storyteller and SSF23 headliner
- Terry Visger, storyteller and teacher
- Taff Roberts, storyteller and SSF founding artistic director
For more Information: