Student Senate Meeting Minutes (02/20/2024)

Posted By: Niki Peterson On: 2024-02-21
Posted On: 2024-02-21

Meeting was called to order by President Maggie Newhouse at 7:00 p.m.

Members Present:
Connor Close, Mario Rodriguez Gomez, Lizzie Pike, Alison French, Sidney Polzin, Gabe Potyk
(Mikayla Vasilevich), Abbie Stigler (Naleya Bork), Jacob Fiala, Abby Nosbisch, Owen Ziegler,
Caden Rodning, Emma Mara (Maeve Cannon), Teagan Phillips, Melanie Winzenburg, Mallory
Von Tersch, Emma Gerdes, Leah Parker, Paige Morris, Sam Frick, Maggie Newhouse, Joel
Tranel, Maddi Clark and Ann Merchlewitz (A Getzin)
Members Absent:
Members Excused:
Jack Campion, Noah Kiemel, & Nick Kiemel

Bylaw Rewrite:
● Article 1 Section 1A: Add the word “representative” to the professional conduct because
senators are different from representatives.
● Article 2 Section 4A: Add the word “representatives” to the list to follow senators.
● Article 2 Section 4B: Remove representatives and add officers to the list of senators.
● Article 3Ba and Article 3Bb: Remove the section in the bylaws that specify areas or
specific locations so we can make our own hall representative groupings.
● Article 4E: Senior class officers do not have to have an annual Senior dance.
● Section 7 Section 2D: Clubs do not have to meet a volunteer requirement to request a
● Article 8 Section 2A4: Big and Little Pals is not a club anymore so we are striking it from
the bylaws.
● Article 8 Section 2A7: Add in Hunger Free Campus into the bylaws ($2.15 per student
per semester)
● Article 8 Section 2A8: Add in RA Programming: currently is $3.75 per student per
semester into the bylaws.
● Motion to amend the Bylaws: Caden Rodning
○ Second: Mario Rodriguez Gomez
● Voting:
○ For: 15
○ Against: 0
○ Abstain: 1
● Amendment Passes

Executive Board Reports:
Maggie Newhouse, President
● Please sign the thank you cards for Monica and Samantha on your way out tonight.
● The Senate Banquet is scheduled for Wednesday, April 10th at 6pm. We will be having
surf and turf. If there are conflicts you know of, please come speak to me after the
● I am working on organizing food for the Banquet, so please let me know after the
meeting. Please let me know if you have any dietary restrictions or allergies.

Joel Tranel, Vice President of Financial Affairs
● Club leaders will be on the lookout for an email from me in the next couple of weeks for
when your club’s budget meeting will be.

Sam Frick, Vice President of Academic Affairs
● Nothing to report.

Paige Morris, Vice President of Student Affairs
● Events for the week
○ Wednesday
■ Men’s Hockey Playoff 7 pm
● White out
○ Thursday
○ Friday
○ Saturday
■ Women’s Hockey Playoff 2 pm
● Fan bus leaves at 11:15, free to students but please email Myles to
save your seat
○ Sunday
■ Men’s Baseball
○ Monday
● Chartwells Survey:
○ Sent out a survey to Kurt and Joe. Will meet with them before spring break and
will update soon.

Jack Campion, Vice President of Public Affairs
● Nothing to report.

Nick Kiemel, Vice President of Campus Affairs
● Nick has a meeting with Tim Stensguard on Wednesday.

Noah Kiemel, Vice President of Media and Communications
● Working on finishing Senator Spotlights on the Instagram account.
● Presidential petitions are available.

Maddi Clark, Vice President of Administrative Affairs
● Nothing to report.
Leah Parker, Vice President of Multicultural Affairs
● Nothing to report.

Ann Merchlewitz, Advisor
● Nothing to report.

Class Officer Reports
● Nothing to report

● Nothing to report

● Nothing to report

● Nothing to report

Senator Concerns:
● Please support Women’s hockey and use the guest bus.
● How often Bylaws get amended?
○ Every year small things get changed but not many

Motion made to Adjourn- Caden Rodning
Seconded – Jacob Fiala
Motion passes unanimously
Meeting Adjourned at 7:12 p.m