We hope that you enjoyed a restful and safe Thanksgiving holiday. Prior to Thanksgiving break, we observed an increase in our positive COVID-19 cases among students. Through the week of November 1, 2021, the Winona Campus had five positive COVID-19 cases among its students. Since November 8, 2021, we have come close to doubling that number with nine additional positive COVID-19 cases.
While our positive COVID-19 cases remain generally low, we are concerned about the increasing numbers. We want to do all that we can to ensure we make it safely through the remainder of the semester. Please remember that when you test positive, you impact your friends and classmates with whom you have been in close contact, forcing them to quarantine.
To assess the prevalence of COVID-19 on campus, especially after the Thanksgiving break, the university has collaborated with Ridgewood Lab Diagnostics for a mandatory COVID-19 testing event for all full-time and part-time students on the Winona Campus, excluding PSEO students. Both vaccinated and unvaccinated students are required to be tested. This event will be held as follows:
Monday – Wednesday (Dec. 6-8)
Hall of Fame Room
9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
You can register for your test using this link.
We believe this event will help mitigate against the spread of COVID-19 on campus by detecting and isolating new COVID-19 cases early. Thus, it will help to ensure the safety of the campus community these last few weeks of the semester.
Participation in this testing event will be tracked and failure to participate may result in disciplinary action.
We ask that you re-commit to COVID-19 protocols.
- We are making one minor change to our masking policy moving forward. Masking will be required for all meetings of students, employees, or visitors that occur in conference rooms or classrooms on any campus.
- In an effort to be vigilant, we ask you to consider mask wearing on campus, as well as off-campus in public indoor spaces, and when in crowds. Please ensure that your mask covers your nose and mouth. (Please note that masks are still required in all classes and labs, at all sporting events, and for all meetings in conference rooms or classrooms on our campuses.)
- We remind you to observe 6 feet of distance.
- We ask that you wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds or more.
- If you are not vaccinated, we encourage you to consider that option.
- If you are vaccinated, the CDC is now recommending that you obtain a COVID-19 booster shot.
Thank you for doing your part to protect yourself and those around you. It’s our goal to ensure you all remain healthy and are able to successfully prepare for and complete your final exams and projects. We also want you all to return home safely and free from the virus to your families.
Together we are Saint Mary’s. Together we are stronger.