Saint Mary’s reinstituted a universal masking mandate in January in light of the rapid spread of the Omicron variant in the United States. Positive COVID-19 cases peaked on the Winona campus the weeks of Jan. 10 (39 cases) and Jan. 17 (20 cases). For the past two weeks we have reported 10 cases (Jan. 31) and 6 cases (Feb. 7). We are clearly seeing a significant decrease in COVID-19 cases on our Winona Campus. Based on the low transmission of COVID-19 on the Winona Campus to date, the following changes will be implemented:
Beginning Friday, Feb 18, 2022, masks are no longer required in the residence halls, the Toner Student Center, or Gostomski Fieldhouse.
Students, faculty, and staff must continue to wear masks:
- In all academic buildings, the library, classrooms, and labs.
- In all administrative buildings [e.g., Vlazny Hall, Saint Mary’s Hall, Heffron Hall (with the exception of the residence hall areas), etc.].
- In the Chapel.
- On buses for any university activity, in university cars and vans, and in counseling and health services.
- At large indoor events where visitors are present.
- At indoor sporting events.
- In faculty or staff offices if requested by the person who occupies the office.
Our masking requirement will be reviewed again the first week of March. If the university sees increasing COVID-19 cases in the coming weeks, the masking requirement may be reinstated. If our cases continue to decrease, we will further relax our masking requirements.